This information is meant to assist persons with mental illness. It will be updated periodically. It is by no means exhaustive, and this blog receives absolutely nothing in return from the resources listed here. If you know of valuable resources, please, contact me about them.
Suicide: Read This First
Listing of International Suicide Prevention Hotlines here.
The Wellness Recovery Action Plan (WRAP), which is used to help those with mental illness recover, can be found here.
The Copeland Center for Wellness and Recovery has information here.
The USA has many helpful sites and resources:
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-TALK (8255)
- Lifeline Crisis Chat: click here.
- Crisis Text line: text “GO” to 741741
- Trans Lifeline: 877-565-8860
- The Trevor Project provides a crisis and suicide prevention hotline for LGBTQ youth at 866-488-7386.
- National Institute of Mental Health’s book on bipolar disorder can be viewed here.
- National Alliance on Mental Illness has many good resources here.
- Network of Care has a plethora of great information by localities here.
- International Association of Peer Supporters is a group of persons with mental illness working to better the lives of others with similar conditions and is found here.
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Administration has some great resources called “Recovery to Practice” here.
In Canada, there are ample places to reach for assistance:
- For suicide prevention help, Canadians may call the same National Suicide Prevention Lifeline as Americans at 800-273-TALK (8255).
- Youth may call the Kids’ Help Phone at 800-668-6868.
- Trans Lifeline: 877-330-6366
- Canadian Mental Health Association, a non-governmental organization, is here.
- Mental Health Commission of Canada offers a large web library here.
- Canadian Alliance on Mental Illness and Mental Health has many listing under their “resources” tab on their site here.
In the U.K., there are many great places to reach out for help:
- For suicide prevention help, call the Samaritans at 08457-90-90-90.
- For suicide prevention for youth, call Papyrus at 0800-068-41-41.
- Mental Health Foundation is here.
- Sane offers many options here.
- Mind, a mental health charity, is here.
- The National Health Service site has much helpful information here.
Australia has many great resources:
- Suicide prevention help is provided by Lifeline. Call them at 13-11-14 or click here.
- Youth may call 1800-55-1800 for suicide prevention help.
- Mental Health Services in Australia is here.
- Mental Health Council of Australia, the premier non-governmental mental health organization in the country, is here.
- Australian Psychology Society lists many resources here.
- Youth in Australia can access Headspace here.
In New Zealand, there are two excellent places to reach for help.
- For suicide prevention help, call Lifeline Aotearoa at (in Aukland) 0-5222-999 or (outside Aukland) 0800-543-354.
- The Ministry of Health’s Mental Health Services website can be found here.
- Mental Health Foundation of New Zealand has excellent resources here.
Ireland has some good places for its citizens to look for assistance.
- For suicide prevention help, call the Samaritans at 116-123.
- The Irish government’s website for mental health is here.
- Mental Health Ireland has a very useful website here.
- Your Mental Health maintains an excellent array of helpful information including other resources here.
The World Health Organization through Project Atlas gives mental health resources in many areas through the site found here.